Biscotti by Chef Eoin Shiell
• 60g butter softened
• 150g brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 215g cake flour
• 80g good quality chocolate roughly chopped
• 125g nuts of your choice
• 5ml baking powder
• Pinch of cinnamon
• Pinch of salt
• Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius closer to the time of baking.
2. Cream the sugar, egg and butter together in a large mixing bowl till the mixture starts to become a creamy white colour.
3. In a separate bowl mix the remaining ingredients together till well incorporated.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together till well incorporated.
5. Lay out a large layer of plastic wrap onto a clean work surface. Take half of your dough and place it in the centre of the plastic wrap. Push the he dough out into a rectangular shape so that it is half a centimetre in thickness. Wrap with the plastic wrap well, making sure to keep it in a rectangular shape. Repeat the process with the remainder of the dough.
Place the dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow it to rest.
6. Grease an oven tray well & set to one side. Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap & place onto a clean work surface.
7. You will now cut the dough width ways into ‘’fingers’’ & place them onto the greased tray. Make sure to evenly space the biscuits so they don’t touch.
8. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Once golden brown remove from the oven & allow to cool on the tray for two minutes. Carefully remove from the tray using a metal spatula & place onto a cooling rack.
9. Once cool dust with the icing sugar.
10. Store for a week in an airtight container.