By Chef Afzal
Time to Prepare: 3 Hours
Flour, white bread - 750g
Salt - 5g
Butter - 185g
Yeast, fresh - 20g
Milk or water - 200g
Egg - 120g
Filling for Bread
Oil, sunflower - 30ml
Onions, medium - 2 med
Breadcrumbs - 45ml
Almonds - 30ml
Parmesan - 90g
Sesame seeds - 15ml
Salt To taste
Pepper To Taste
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. Rub in 45ml of the butter. Mix the yeast with the milk and water. Add to the flour with the egg and mix to a soft dough.
2. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 10minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with oiled clear film (Plastic wrap) or slide into an oiled polythene bag and leave to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
3. Knock back and turn out on to a lightly floured surface. Roll out into an oblong about 1xm thick.
4. Dot half the remaining butter over the top two-thirds of the dough, Fold the bottom third up and the top third down and seal the edges. Turn by 90°C and repeat with the remaining butter. Fold and seal as before. Cover with oiled clear film and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
5. Turn by a further 90°C. Roll and fold again without any butter. Repeat once more. Wrap in oiled clear film and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat the oil for the filling. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes
until golden. Remove from the heat and add the breadcrumbs, almonds,
Parmesan and seasoning.
7. Mix half the beaten egg into the breadcrumb mixture.
8. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle 56x 23cm. Spread
with the filling to within 2cm of the edges, then roll up like a swiss role from
one long side. Cut in half Length ways. Plait together with the cut side up and
shape into a ring.
9. Place onto a baking sheet, cover with oiled clear film and leave to rise, in a
warm place for 30 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C. Brush the remaining beaten egg over
the dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and Parmesan cheese and bake in
the centre of the preheated oven for 40 -50minutes, or until golden. Transfer
to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold, cut into slices.