Capsicum Cape Town Patisserie student, Ayesha Suliman, appeared on Hectic Nine-9 on 10 February 2015. Hectic Nine-9 is the live television show for the youth on SABC 2 from 16:00- 17:00 weekdays. With more than 2.5 million viewers per show, Hectic Nine-9 is SABC’s flagship youth show. With their funky vibe and fresh topics, Ayesha was a great fit for the day.
As part of their heart week special, Ayesha was asked to prepare something sweet that was inspired by the heart and more specifically love. Keeping the target audience in mind, Ayesha had to prepare something delicious but also something that the viewers could try and taste at home.
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, Ayesha shared her decadent Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Dessert Cream and finished it off with a refreshing CocoBerry Smoothie.
The show was a complete blast and so much fun was had by all. A special thanks to Ayesha for sharing the recipes with us:
- 150g Cake Flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 150ml Buttermilk
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Red Food Colouring
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and salt
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, vanilla essence and red colouring
- Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and set aside
- Add small ladles full of the mixture onto a hot, well-oiled pan and when bubbles start appearing on the surface, the pancake is ready to be turned. They’ll need about 1 minute to be finished.
- 300g Cream Cheese
- 125ml Fresh Cream
- 150g Icing Sugar
- Whip the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth
- Add cream and whip further
- Sift icing sugar into the mixture and whip until smooth and creamy
- Starting with a pancake, alternate four layers of pancake and cream cheese, ending with a pancake
- Top with fresh strawberries, raspberries and cherries. Add a few sprigs of mint and dust with icing sugar and grated dark chocolate.
- 2x 340ml can Coconut Milk
- 1x punnet Strawberries
- 2x tbsp Icing Sugar
- Pour coconut milk into a blender and add strawberries and sugar
- Serve on crushed ice and garnish with fresh strawberries
- For a thicker smoothie, pour the coconut milk into a bowl and leave uncovered overnight in the refrigerator.