By Chef Lianne Holt
Cooking with natural oils can have the most wonderful effect on your final product if used correctly. They do not only enhance the flavour of your food, they also provide your dish with a higher percentage of natural goodness for your well-being. Popular natural oils such as Hazelnut, Coconut, Olive, and even Sesame seed oils are becoming common household commodities due to their natural goodness and full flavour. To get the most out of these oils you need to understand how to work with them.
- Always ensure your natural oils are fresh. They have a shorter lifespan than the robust vegetable oils.
- Keep the oil tightly sealed in a cool environment.
- Use sparingly as the full flavour could overpower your final product if used with a heavy hand.
- Use natural oils to drizzle over salads or canapes. They all add a wonderful flavour.
- Use natural oils in sweet and savoury dishes. Adding a touch of hazelnut oil to a chocolate cake is sure to wow your guests.
- Never use your natural oil when intense heat is required, the temperature at which this oil will burn is much lower than your standard vegetable oils.