Q&A with Chef Goodness Vundla
by Chef Julia Greenaway
A decadent chocolate cheesecake with a zesty twist of orange, baked to perfection!
Orange and Chocolate Baked Cheesecake
Author: Capsicum Culinary Studio
For the base
- 60g butter
- 45g light brown sugar
- 80g golden syrup
- 180g cake flour
- 2.5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 80g butter, melted
For the cheesecake
- 3 tbsp orange liqueur
- 200g castor sugar
- 2 oranges, zest of both and juice of 1 orange
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 850g soft cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 375ml cream
- 345g dark chocolate pieces
For the base
- Cream together the butter and sugar, and add the syrup.
- Sift the dry ingredients, and add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll out and bake at 180ºC.
- Once cooked, break up and crumb the biscuit.
- Mix in the 80g melted butter into 100g crumbs.
For the Cheese Cake
- For the cheesecake, preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Add the crumbed biscuit base, and push into the base of the cake tin. Drizzle one tablespoon of the orange liqueur onto the crumb base.
- Mix together the sugar, orange zest (and juice) and cornflour in a bowl using a wooden spoon, then use an electric hand mixer to beat in the cream cheese. Crack in the eggs one by one, beating constantly until all the eggs are well incorporated.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of orange liqueur to the mixture and mix well. Add the cream and beat well until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour a third of the mixture over the biscuit base in the cake tin. Then sprinkle over a third of the chocolate pieces and smooth over with a palette knife. Repeat twice more with the remaining cheesecake mixture and chocolate pieces.
- Place the tin into a baking tray filled with 2-3mm of warm water – this helps to create steam during cooking. Transfer to the oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool and set completely before removing from the tin.
- Decorate with marmalade orange slices, and serve with cream.