By: Chef Afzal Mohammed from the Durban Campus
“Here is a spin on the old faithful grilled cheese sandwich. I decided to use three of my favorite cheeses, Gouda, Mozzarella and Chervin. Mixed through with some garlic, salt, black pepper and chives then sandwiched between a French sourdough toast, topped off with a vine tomato and red eyed chili jam and you have a filling fit for a king. What would the world be without cheese?”
1 x Sourdough loaf (see our recipe for sourdough bread here)
100g Chervin (goat’s cheese)
4 Large eggs
1 Punnet vine tomatoes
100g Red eyed chilies
100ml Apple cider vinegar
200g Brown sugar
- Mix the tomatoes, chillies, vinegar, sugar and water in a medium sized pot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45min or until jam consistency is reached.
- Whisk eggs, add salt and pepper – slice sourdough loaf and dip in egg mixture (allow to soak up the egg).
- Grate the Gouda, add garlic, chives, salt, crumble Chervin and mix together – set aside.
- Place the egg bread on a hot grill, allow to cook until golden brown toast is achieved.
- Slice mozzarella and lay on toast, top with cheese mixture.
- Place under salamander and allow cheese to melt completely.
- Remove from heat and top with chili jam.
- Serve with a side of sweet potato crisps.