Kaylin Kammies on Recipe for Success
Top tips to become a better chef
- Hard work and perseverance are what will set you apart. If you put in the long hours and gain experience, you will be rewarded further on in your career.
- Focus on experience, especially if you are just starting out. Chefs are paid according to their experience, so try and join the best establishments you can get into and learn about as many aspects of the kitchen as possible.
- Master the basics and make sure you understand them before moving on to more technical skills.
- Invest in a good quality knife – this is an extension of a chef’s hands and one of the most important tools you will use in your career.
- Have a passion to learn and grow – this industry requires you to constantly challenge the norms and to present food in creative ways. Food trends are always evolving, so staying abreast with the latest developments can set you apart in a competitive environment.