Soup is synonymous with winter time, and since we are in the thick of the cold months, you shouldn’t really need convincing that soup should feature amongst your meals. Not only is it tasty, it also warms you up from the inside out which is exactly what I look for in a meal during winter.
But, just in case you’re still not entirely on board with becoming an avid soup eater, I’ve compiled a list of reasons why you should definitely be eating soup…
- Soup dates back to 6000 BC… if it was good enough for them and it’s been around this long, who are you to turn your nose up at it – eat some soup!
- Soup is a one pot wonder meal… who likes to wash up multiple dishes anyway? Soup saves you time and energy – Go on, make some soup!
- Consommé (clear broth/soup) was created for a French King who wanted to see his reflection in the soup while he ate it… that’s a good reason to eat soup if you’re a little vain I guess? Don’t be shy, help yourself to some soup.
- Andy Warhol is famous for painting soup cans (amongst other things of course)… soup inspired his art – so eat soup and be inspired!
- Back in the day, women used to eat soup because they believed it prevented wrinkle formation as they didn’t have to chew when eating soup… well, I don’t know how effective that is, but there are more outrageous beauty tricks out there so why can’t soup-eating be one of them?
- Frank Sinatra ate chicken and rice soup before his performances… eat soup and sing like an angel!?!? – well, that’s a bit of a stretch, but if it was good enough for Old Blue Eyes, then soup should be good enough for you.
- Soup is a great way to consume vegetables (or use up any vegetables in your fridge that are on their last legs)… soup saves you money – eat soup!
There you have it, 7 reasons why you should definitely be eating soup. So go on… SOUP it up!
To get you started here is an awesome Spiced Carrot and Butternut Soup with Coconut Cream by Chef Shelain Horn