By Chef Shelain Horn
Warm up this winter with this spiced carrot and butternut soup recipe that’s bound to have your family yearning for more. Chef Shelain Horn’s vibrantly orange soup delivers on flavour, spiciness, cost and, best of all, wholesome nutrients.
This soup is magnificent on so many levels. It has a great vibrant orange colour, lots of fabulous spices and it’s packed full of nutrition-rich ingredients. This is a real favourite of mine on a cold winter’s day.
Quick and easy to make and eat!
(Serves 6 as a starter)
- 15ml Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 1 small Red Chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 stalk of Lemon Grass
- 500g Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250g Butternut, chopped
- ½ Green apple peeled and chopped
- 2 Kaffir Lime leaves
- 1 litre Chicken stock
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 2 Tbsp Palm Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 100ml Coconut Cream
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and glassy.
- Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, carrot, butternut, apple, lime leaves, lemon grass and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove the lemon grass stalk and lime leaves and blend until smooth
- Pass the puree through a sieve.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the lime juice, palm sugar and fish sauce then gently reheat.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and top with the coconut cream.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of lime zest and ground ginger.