Low in calories, high in fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and antioxidants – broccoli definitely deserves its spot in the…Details
Chef Pieter from our Port Elizabeth campus shares some tips on maximizing vegetables and preventing wastage:
Cook spinach stems with red, vinegar, sugar and salt for a sweet-and-sour relish.
- Puree carrot tops with basil, parmesan and pine nuts for pesto – great to use in the stock pot too.
- Chop fennel stalks finely and sauté with leeks and butter for a delicate sauce for fish.
- Trim and toss radish greens in buttermilk dressing with corn, thinly sliced radishes and tomatoes.
Our Chef Patron, Chef Zola Nene shares her insights:
- Add a generous squeeze of naartjie juice to bircher muesli for a fresh burst.
- Try a slice of naartjie in your ice tea, instead of lemons.
- When it comes to pickling, makes sure your utensils and equipment are completely sterile.
- Pickle foods at their freshest, the point is to preserve the goodness.