Tshepo Makajane is a 23 year old student chef from Capsicum Culinary Studio’s Cape Town campus doing the Combination Programme in Culinary Arts. He recently had the opportunity to be a contestant on the 9th episode of Recipe for Success on DSTV 176.
For the show Tshepo cooked a Beef Sirloin with Parmesan Carrots for Michael Cooke from Camphors. We are very proud of Tshepo and all our students who appeared on Recipe for Success. His recipe below:
Measurement / Ingredient
200g Beef Sirloin
60ml Balsamic Vinegar
15ml Cooking Oil
2 White Onion (quartered)
60g Parmesan Cheese (finely grated)
2 Potatoes 1 Carrot (large)
2 Star Aniseed
10ml Black Pepper
1 Rosemary Sprig
- Julienne white onions and sauté in a pan with 20g of butter until soft for 2-3 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and simmer for 1 minute with star aniseed.
- Add 40g sugar into the shallots and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Preheat over to 160 degrees.
- Wash and peel carrots; using a slicer, slice thin sheets of the carrot.
- In a saucepan, add 5g butter, honey and carrot and cook until carrots are coated.
- Remove form saucepan and place onto a baking sheet.
- Bake or grill the carrots at 160 degrees until crispy.
- Peel potatoes and add to pot with salt and bring to boil (10 minutes).
- Drain off the potatoes and pass through sieve into a bowl.
- Add butter, and salt for taste. Add the cream and parmesan cheese.
- Season the beef sirloin with salt and pepper and cooking oil and set aside.
- Place a griddle pan on medium heat.
- Place the beef on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side till medium rare.
- Rest the sirloin and begin assembling the dish.