A watermelon cake is a great way to enjoy dessert this summer. Refreshing and delicious! Thick whipped cream covers a juicy ripe watermelon, and is adorned with tasty nuts and strawberries. This no bake watermelon cake requires almost no effort and looks fantastic.
Simply delicious, and even more so now because watermelons are ripe and readily available at grocery stores. It is so easy to make and you can make this watermelon cake as large or small as you want, you just need to adjust your whipped cream topping accordingly.
- 1 whole large watermelon
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons gluten free powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Top with strawberries
- 2 heaped tablespoons crushed natural pistachios
- 1 heaped table spoon edible rose petals
- With the skin still on, cut away both ends of the whole watermelon leaving at least 12cm in the mid section.
- From the mid section, cut away the outer skin with straight, consecutive cuts, ensuring a cake like shape as you turn the watermelon.
- Use a ruler to make sure the height of the melon is the same the whole way around.
- If you have any bulgy sections, shave back the bulge with a knife so that the sides of the melon are as straight as possible.
- Wrap the melon with paper towels so that the excess juice is absorbed.
- Let the melon rest in the paper towel wrap while you make the rose cream.
- In a stand-alone mixer using the paddle attachment, beat room temperature mascarpone cheese and thickened cream until combined and slightly thickened.
- Add the powdered sugar and drop the rose water into the mix, one teaspoon at a time. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Unwrap the melon.
- Generously apply the rose cream to the top and sides of the melon, making sure that your application is thick enough to cover any visible watermelon.
- Top with strawberries, crushed pistachios and rose petals.
Best served the same day, and still delicious the next!