Local is Lekker Recipes
- 10 Cups Diced Watermelon
- 3/4 Cup Sugar – optional
- First, preheat the oven to the lowest temperature possible on your oven and line a baking sheet with good quality plastic wrap.
- Then, blend up all of the watermelon in your food processor and place it in a mesh colander lined with paper towels to drain out the excess liquid.
- Once all of the watermelon has been blended, and the liquid removed, blend the puree one last time with the sugar so that the watermelon and sugar blend evenly. If need be place the puree back in the colander one last time to remove any excess liquid.
- Evenly spread the watermelon puree onto the center of the baking sheet using a spatula until it is 1/2 cm thick – avoiding the edges of the pan for easy removal.
- Bake the Watermelon Fruit Leathers for 6-8 hours, rotating the pan every hour.
- The Watermelon Fruit Leather is done baking when it is no longer shiny and has a matte appearance, it will also no longer be really sticky. If your finger doesn’t leave an impression when touching it, and if the fruit leather can be carefully separated from the plastic wrap without easily ripping, than it is done baking. Let cool completely before removing the Watermelon Fruit Leather from the baking sheet.
- Carefully pull the plastic wrap/fruit leather off the baking sheet and flip it onto a piece of parchment paper – fruit leather down. Remove the plastic wrap from the Watermelon Fruit Leather, cut off any excess fruit leather with a pizza cutter, and the excess parchment paper along the length side with clean kitchen scissors.
- Cut the fruit leathers/parchment paper into long strips, about an inch wide, and then roll them up and store in an airtight container, for 3 to 5 at room temperature or up to a week in the fridge.
- It’s best to use a plastic wrap that is microwavable and can tolerate low levels of heat so that it doesn’t melt in the oven and mess up your yummy Watermelon Fruit Leather. Also, make sure the plastic wrap has no ripples when placed on the baking sheet so that the Watermelon Fruit Leather won’t have any weird lines or ripples once its baked.
- If you are baking more than one pan at a time make sure to rotate from top to bottom every hour.